University of Rochester Administrative Asst in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 Microbiology Administration
8:30 AM-5 PM; OCC WKENDS
With minimal direction and latitude for independent judgment, support the Department of Microbiology and Immunology undergraduate teaching program, postdoctoral appointments and immigration needs, weekly seminar program, grant submissions, and reconcile expenses using URGEMS and UR Financials. Performs non-routine duties involving various complex, confidential information.
Requires knowledge of accounting cost principles, research grant submissions, UR Financials, and URGEMS. Duties require accounting and computing skills and demonstrated proficiency in an administrative office setting. Requires excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and attention to detail. Must be able to work independently or with a team as appropriate. The ability to handle multiple tasks and requests with varying deadlines is essential. Work closely with Microbiology & Immunology Faculty, Research Program Administrator, Senior Accountants, students, and visitors.
- Manage weekly departmental seminar series as well as special seminars for candidates and distinguished speakers. Independently communicate with speakers and guests. Prepare written invitations and monitor travel arrangements, itineraries, meals, and reimbursement of all expenses and honorariums related to seminars and visitors. Assist with planning departmental events, retreats, and scientific symposia.
- Provide assistance with departmental grant submissions. Work with research program manager, senior accountant, and faculty to prepare a large number of grant applications each month. Maintain contact with PIs, collaborators and ORPA, and track applications to ensure on time submissions. Attend institutional meetings to stay abreast of changes in instructions and policies to be able to advise faculty and ensure applications are being submitted correctly.
- Reconcile expenses using URGEMS and UR Financials. Ensure complete and accurate data, initiate corrective action and monitor accounts to be sure corrections are made and backup is available. Maintain constant communication with Accounting, Purchasing, departmental labs, and PIs. Keep up to date on status of faculty research grants and institutional funds. Print reports from UR Financials and distribute them with monthly GEMS reports to faculty. Attend URGEMS and UR Financial institutional meetings to remain current on changes or issues related to this responsibility.
- Manage undergraduate MBI course to ensure successful yearly program. Interact with course director, students, faculty, and staff on River Campus and at the Medical Center. Maintain confidential undergraduate files and grades. Write letters on behalf of the course director. Anticipate and obtain information for the Course Director, and inform him of things that may require his attention. Plan for and assist during commencement ceremony and class events.
- Serve as the departmental liaison for international services. Responsible for oversight and maintenance of faculty and postdoctoral visa matters. Counsel incoming faculty, postdocs, visiting scholars, and students on INS rules and regulations, and assist them in the process of acquiring J1, H1B, or permanent residency status. Maintain records on yearly international travel of department members.
- Monitor and maintain postdoctoral fellow paperwork – appointments, reappointments, and visas. Assist faculty with recruitment of new postdocs. Prepare postdoctoral offer letters and work with University attorneys to obtain their approval.
- Work directly with faculty and HR to advertise new technical staff openings in the Department. Completes appropriate job descriptions and personnel forms. Guide faculty to be sure correct procedures are followed during the interviewing and hiring process. Work with HR on position and salary offers. Follow up with faculty when staff members are due to have end of probation reviews. Provide support for cGMP Facility, GRC Core, and Proteomics Core including HR tasks, payroll forms, assisting core faculty with requesting and hiring staff, salary distribution changes, payroll issues, and guiding faculty through these processes. Keep Research Program Manager informed of personnel issues as necessary.
- Assist with renovations, equipment repairs, and complicated laboratory moves. Prepare annual space survey, correctly defining use of space and occupants.
- Other miscellaneous tasks as assigned.
College graduation or an equivalent combination of experience and training. 1 year of relevant administrative experience. Prefer 3-5 years of relevant administrative experience, or an equivalent combination of experience and training. Knowledge of Microsoft Office, University of Rochester policies and procedures, NIH grant submission policies and procedures, UR Financials, and URGEMS preferred. Must be CLASP certified at the time of hire or as soon as possible after hire date.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Administrative Asst
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 201886
Full/Part Time: Full-Time