University of Rochester Activities Therapist in Rochester, New York
Time as Reported Grade 050 Psychiatry SMH Child/Adoles
TO BE DETERMINED; WKENDS AS NEEDED
The Activities Therapist in the Child and Adolescent Acute Services is a member of the interdisciplinary treatment team and provides direct clinical services to patients aged 5-99 years. In collaboration with other team members, the Activities Therapist provides programming and 1:1 contacts for the purpose of crisis intervention and stabilization that is pleasurable, goal directed, recreational, educational and creative. Subscribes to the Department's goal of creating a culturally competent environment by treating patients/families, trainees, research subjects and co-workers in a sensitive and caring manner with appropriate attention to cultural differences. Participates in available cultural competence events and trainings.
- Conducts initial interviews of newly admitted patients.
- Plans and organizes for the Activities Therapy Program.
- Leads a variety of Activities Therapy Groups and provides 1:1 contacts that help the patient with the stabilization process. Modalities utilized include art, music, recreation, and psycho-education and meet the social, cultural, and health maintenance needs of the patients. Observes patient behavior.
- Provides communication to clinical staff by participating in care planning, morning report, and other interdisciplinary meetings that are deemed necessary for optimal patient care.
- Documents patient behavior and progress daily in the e-record identifying treatment goals, patient participation, and the method used. Completes other documentation as indicated.
- Completes the Initial Assessment.
- Supervises the movement of patients to and from activities areas in accordance with defined hospital policy, and patient restrictions and privileges.
- Participates in hospital in-service training and attends and reports on professional conferences and meetings outside of SMH.
- May aid in various research projects as required.
- Participates in instruction and evaluating affiliate trainees; serves as training therapist and provides supervision for new staff.
- Is responsible for the maintenance of equipment and supplies. Assists in planning for equipment and supplies.
- When designated, assumes the responsibilities of the Senior Activities Therapist.
Performs other duties as required.
Bachelor's degree, with a major suitable to a therapy area in the Division of Activities. Some experience in working with individuals or groups in a clinical setting where basic concepts of psychology and pathology, demonstrated ability to use these, as required. Registry credentials, undergraduate affiliate training and prior professional experience in activities therapy are desirable.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Activities Therapist
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 201296
Full/Part Time: TAR