University of Rochester Academic Counselor in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 052 Office of the Dean of Students
As a vital member of the staff of the Rochester Center for Community Leadership, the Program Manager will have responsibility for administering the TOUR and LEAP programs, and will advise students as needed to facilitate these programs, seeking to empower students to take leadership roles whenever possible. The Program Manager will also advise student organizations whose missions focus on community service.
Coordinate TOUR Program (Transition Opportunities at the University of Rochester)
- Oversee the co-curricular integration of students with intellectual disabilities at the University, through the coordination of a peer mentoring program involving undergraduate students.
- Serve as a liaison between TOUR students and campus related experiences in an effort to support their involvement and engagement.
- Supervise student program leaders.
- Recruit, hire, and train academic coaches to support students in the program in their academic, internship, and social experiences.
- Negotiate the logistics of access to campus activities for TOUR students.
- Advance the curricular integration of students with intellectual disabilities at the University of Rochester.
- Lead the effort to recruit UR faculty to facilitate students auditing their classes.
- Create a list of possible courses for students to audit in coming semester (with the consent of the instructional faculty).
- Organize and promote ongoing student and faculty professional development (as needed).
- Participate in administrative meetings essential to the successful operation of the TOURprogram at the University of Rochester.
- Locate possible internship sites and social opportunities on UR campus for students in the TPSID program.
Coordinate LEAP Literacy Outreach program
- Maintain successful, sustainable partnership with RCSD and other community partner organizations.
- Supervise undergraduate student employees who serve as tutors and team leaders in the program.
- Work with RCSD teachers to match tutors with school students for Classroom Assistance Time
- Provide support to student volunteers, including arranging transportation to schools.
- Coordinate program-specific training.
- Supervise graduate assistant for community service.
- Maintain documentation and reports on the program for future use.
Advise Student Organizations
- Advise student community service organizations as assigned.
- Attend membership meetings at least once per semester.
- Meet as needed with executive board members to resolve problems and ensure effective programming; at least once per month
- Ensure timely and thorough completion of student organization annual report (SOAR).
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline and two years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to interface sensitively and effectively with diverse populations both on campus and in the Rochester community.
- Excellent organizational, planning, communication and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, Outlook,and PowerPoint, and familiarity with design, print, and web applications for marketing purposes.
- The ability to work autonomously within a team of skilled professionals, in a fast-paced work environment.
- Some evening and weekend hours required.
- Master’s degree in education administration, K-12 education, social work, or a related discipline.
- Knowledge of and experience with K-12 education, curriculum design, and universal course design.
- Experience in or a strong familiarity with higher education, the University of Rochester, and greater Rochester community is highly desirable.
- Ability to communicate effectively with University faculty members to engage them in support of community service projects.
- Prior supervisory experience.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Academic Counselor
Location: The College
Job ID: 201225
Full/Part Time: Full-Time